Creating Accessible Websites - The Basics
Delegates will gain an understanding of how the various requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) can be met when creating a website, be familiar with the Publicly Accessible Specification Guidelines (PAS 78), and how the Disability Equality Duty (DED) can impact on public sector websites. Attendees will receive a ‘certificate of attendance' and a course handbook.
Discussion on the four main categories of disability and the problems these disabled users may experience when using the Internet including.
- Considerations when creating/updating/maintaining a website that is both vibrant and accessible:
- Writing style Tips on writing prose and checking that it is appropriate for your audience.
- Language Tips on supporting visitors with English as a second language.
- Images Tips on ensuring graphics can be inclusive to blind users.
- Buttons Tips on creating accessible buttons.
- Colour Tips on use of colour and easy ways to establish colour contrast.
- Multimedia Tips on making video/audio available to the deaf.
- Forms Tips on creating accessible forms.
- HTML Tips on using HTML code that is accessible.
- Validation Tips on validating your website.
A real life experience The real issues of accessing websites when you have a visual disability. First hand experience and learning with a blind user.
Delegates will be given the opportunity to have a “hands on” experience and work at their own pace, if they wish to create accessible content including…
- Using keywords, page titles, headings, naming conventions
- Copying text from a Word document into a web page and formatting the content
- Placing a graphic into the content of a web page
- Linking to a Word document
- Linking to a PDF
- Creating a table
- Inserting a form
- Linking to a word or phrase within a web page
- Linking to another web page on the same website
- Linking to another website
Where to get help:
Discussion on the support systems available, i.e. Helplines, Discussion Forums, Mailing Lists, Training.
Course Times & Dates
Course Date : To be arranged
Course Time: 9:30am refreshments on arrival, course start time: 10am- 4pm
Course Duration: 5 hours (buffet lunch 1-2pm)
Location: London, Birmingham and Manchester.
How to book a place on this course
Please use our contact form to inquire about this course.